Borðeyri is a small village, with road no. 68 located by Hrútafjörður"s west side, in the southern part of Strandir, 8 kilometers from road no. 1 (N1 Stadarskáli). The village stands on a small sandbank, and it"s one of the smallest villages in the country with a population of 25. Borðeyri was once as a lively commercial centre with merchants coming in their vessels from all across the world.
According to Vatnsdælasaga, Borðeyri was named by the one of Iceland"s early settlers, Ingimundur the Old. He was searching for new territories when he came there and saw a big piece of driftwood lying on the shore. Therefore he called the spit Borðeyri, literally, "Borð" means "big driftwood". During the 18th century, Borðeyri was also known for being a point for extensive sheep export. It was also one of the main ports in the remakable history of emigration from Iceland to North America in the late 1800 th century.
The oldest building in Borðeyri is from 1862 (and one of the oldest by Húnaflói). This is Riis-house, home of the famouse local merchant Richard P. Riis, who lived in Borðeyri at the beginning of the 1900"s.
Today a good garage http://www.sgverk.com/ is at Borðeyri, a school and a camping site.